Welcome to the website of the Nottinghamshire Chess Association (NCA). The NCA administers chess in Nottinghamshire.
If you are a new or experienced chess player looking to join a club in Nottinghamshire contact one of the club secretaries shown on the list of clubs. New members are always welcome.
If you need to contact any NCA officer then please visit the information page for their details.
For older news items see the news page.
Inter-County U140 Championship: Shropshire 7-9 Nottinghamshire (5th Dec)
The U140 team beat Shropshire 9-7 in a closely fought match. They next play against Staffordshire on Sat 11th Jan. Full results
British Rapidplay (5th Dec)
The leading Notts player in the open section was Jim Burnett (Mansfield) with a score of 5½/11. Aditya Munshi (West Notts) finished equal 3rd in the U11 Trial with a score of 4/5. Here are the results for all the Notts players who took part (main sections out of 11 and junior events out of 5):
- Open: Jim Burnett (Mansfield) 5½, Alex Combie (Newark) 5
- Major: Jonah Willow (West Notts) 5
- Intermediate: Hambel Willow (West Notts) 2½
- U11 Trial: Aditya Munshi (West Notts) 4, Adam Bennett (West Notts) 3, Abishek Thakar (West Notts) 3, Neel Badhe (West Notts) 2, Susie Wang (West Notts) 2, Rohan Tandon (Nottinghamshire Juniors) 2
- U12, U16: Aditya Munshi (West Notts) 3, Abishek Thakar (West Notts) 2½
Nottinghamshire County Championship (27th Nov)
The 2013/14 County Champion is Alex Posazhennikov with a score of 3½/5. Full results
Online entry forms (24th Nov)
The online entry forms are now available for both the Nottingham Rapidplay and the Nottingham Congress. The links to the online entry forms are as follows:
If you have any problems with using these online entry forms then please contact the webmaster.
Nottingham Congress and Nottingham Rapidplay (22nd Nov)
The dates have been confirmed for the Nottingham Congress and Nottingham Rapidplay and entry forms are available to download for both competitions.
An online entry form for both competitions will be available in the near future from the website.
Inter-County U100 Championship: Nottinghamshire 11-1 Staffordshire (17th Nov)
The U100 team had another convincing win, this time beating Staffordshire 11-1. They secure progression to the national stages and are currently top of the U100 Championship. Full results
EMC Risley Junior Chess Training Tournament (17th Nov)
East Midlands Chess are holding a Junior Training Tournament in Risley, Derbyshire on Sunday 1st December. There will be a 6 round swiss tournament with training in-between matches. It is open to all children U13 and with an U130 grade. An entry form can be downloaded for this tournament.
East Midlands Chess Tournament (17th Nov)
A series of U18 chess tournaments are being held at Dovecote School in Clifton, Nottingham. For each session there are 6 rounds with every player receiving 30 minutes on the clock for each round. An entry form is available to download.
Inter-County Matches round up (10th Nov)
The minor/open team beat Leicestershire 9-7 to continue their good run and go top of the East Zone table with 4 points. Full results
The U160 team drew 8-8 with Leicestershire in a close match where Nottinghamshire had a slight grading advantage overall. Full results
The U120 team had a comfortable 8½-3½ win over Worcestershire and are the current leader with 2 wins out of 2. Full results
Scarborough Congress (5th Nov)
There was a record entry of 341 players in the event this year. The best scores from Notts players came from Daniel Broughton (West Bridgford) finishing equal first in the major section with a score of 4/5 and winning £125, and David Dunne (West Notts) coming equal third in the minor section with a score of 4/5 and winning £25. Here are the rest of the results for Notts players:
- Open: Mike Barnes (Gambit) 3, Alex Combie (Newark) 2½, Jim Burnett (Mansfield) 2, Glenn Halfpenny (Ashfield) 2
- Major: Daniel Broughton (West Bridgford) 4 =1st, Maurice Hill (Nomads) 2
- Intermediate: James Thomson (West Notts) 2, Janos Wagenbach (Mansfield) 1/3
- Minor: Chris Bonnello (Radcliffe & Bingham) 2½, Ray Sayer (Ashfield) 1½
- Foundation: David Dunne (West Notts) 4 =3rd
Hull Congress (4th Nov)
Chris Fraser (West Bridgford) came equal 1st in the minor section with a score of 4/5 and won £187.50. Here are the results for all the Notts players who took part (all scores out of 5 unless stated otherwise):
- Major: Robert Taylor (Ashfield) 2½, Janos Wagenbach (Mansfield) 1
- Intermediate: Ray Sayer (Ashfield) 1½/2
- Minor: Chris Fraser (West Bridgford) 4 =1st
Inter-County Matches round up (23rd Oct)
The U100 team whitewashed a young and inexperienced Leicestershire team 12-0. Full results
The U120 team convincingly beat Lincolnshire 7½-4½ in a match that looked closer on paper. Full results
The Minor/Open team overpowered Lincolnshire and beat them 10-6. Full results
East Midlands Chess Junior Training Tournament (13th Oct)
East Midlands Chess are running another junior tournament but this time in Bramcote, Nottingham on Sunday 20th October. It is the same format as before with a mixture of competition and training. An entry form is available to download.
Executive Committee meeting minutes (5th Oct)
The minutes for the Executive Committee meeting held on 9th August is now available to view on the website.
Update on University venue (1st Oct)
University now have a venue for all their home matches from 15 October up to Christmas.
The Queens Hotel, 189 Queens Rd, Beeston, Nottinghamshire, NG9 2FE have a separate room at the back which they will use. See map.
After Christmas (and home matches on 1 October) they are in Room LG9 of the Trent Building on the University campus, as previously advised.
University venue and captains (26th Sep)
University are having some difficulties in regard to room bookings. The matches on 1st October, and then all home matches after Christmas, will be played in Trent Building, Room LG9. See map. All other matches before Christmas are currently hoped to go ahead as planned, but a specific location is yet to be arranged. This will affect teams in Divisions 1, 3 & 5. More specific info re pre-Christmas venues and any rearrangements that may be needed will be advised in due course.
Team captains for University for the following year are going to be:
Leek Congress (22nd Sep)
Jonah Willow (West Notts) scored 3½/5 and came equal 4th in the B section. He had a 169 grading performance which was 28 points above his actual grade of 141. Hambel Willow (West Notts) scored 3/5 in the C section.
Leamington RapidPlay (17th Sep)
Drag Sudar (Gambit) came equal first in the intermediate section with a score of 5/6. Here are the results for all the Notts players who took part (all scores out of 6):
- Open: Pablo Padilla Cabero (Ashfield) 2½
- Major: Andrew Toothill (Ashfield) 3, Stephen Foster (Nottingham Central) 1½
- Intermediate: Drag Sudar (Gambit) 5, Aditya Munshi (West Notts) 2
- Minor: Dorothy Blampied (Radcliffe & Bingham) 3½
NCA AGM Minutes 2013 (14th Sep)
The draft minutes of the Nottinghamshire Chess Association AGM held at Nomads CC on 8 July 2013 is now available to view on the website.
East Midlands team in the 4NCL (5th Sep)
East Midlands Chess are looking at entering a team in the 4NCL for the 2013-14 season. They are looking for chess players with an EM connection, grading 180+ and who would like to play this coming season. The aim is to start in division 3 and work up to division 1 within 3-5 years. Please contact Christopher Dunworth at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 07577-273275 for further details.
New venues for Mansfield and Newark chess clubs (3rd Sep)
For the upcoming season Mansfield and Newark have moved to new venues and are playing on different club nights to what they had previously. Here is a summary:
|Mansfield||The Railway Inn, 9 Station Street, Mansfield NG18 1EF||Wednesday|
|Newark||The Roaring Meg, 117 Barnby Gate, Newark, NG24 1QZ||Monday|
For further details visit the information page
East Midlands Chess Junior Training Tournament (3rd Sep)
East Midlands Chess are running a junior training tournament in Risley, Derby on Sunday 22nd September. It is a 6 round swiss tournament open to all children U13 and U130 grade. There will be a mixture of competition and training. An entry form is available to download.
English U11 Closed Championships (25th Aug)
The East Midlands will be hosting the English U11 Closed Championships at Nottingham High Junior School on Sat & Sun 12 & 13 October. Anyone in Year 6 and under can enter provided that they were born in, live in or attend school in England. An entry form is available to download.
British Chess Championships (11th Aug)
The 100th British Chess Championships was held in Torquay this year from 28th July to 10th August. Over 20 Nottinghamshire players took part in the various events that were ran over the 2 weeks. Robert Willoughby (West Notts) came equal 1st in the U140 Championship and won £160 prize money. Robert Taylor (Ashfield) came equal 2nd in the British Seniors U150 and won £30 prize money.
A selection of games is now available for replay.
Full results are as follows:
Adult and Junior sections:
- British Championship: Jim Burnett (Mansfield) 5½/11, Peter Mercs (Gambit) 5/11, David Coates (Newark) 4/11
- British Senior Championship: David Levens (West Notts) 3/7
- British Seniors U150: Robert Taylor (Ashfield) 3½/5 =2nd, Stanley Cranmer (Ashfield) 2½/5
- British Seniors U130: Chris Fraser (West Bridgford) 3/5
- Major Open: Richard Webster (West Bridgford) 6/11
- U160 Championship: Robert Taylor (Ashfield) 2/5
- U140 Championship: Robert Willoughby (West Notts) 4½/5 =1st
- U120 Championship: Chris Fraser (West Bridgford) 1½/5
- Rapidplay Week 2: Peter Mercs (Gambit) 4½/6
- 5 Day Open AM Week 2: William Atiomo Snr (West Bridgford) 2/5, Mark Radford (Nottingham Central) 0/2
- Weekender Atkins: Mark Radford (Nottingham Centra) 1½/5
- Weekender Soanes U150: Robert Taylor (Ashfield) 2½/5
- Weekender Yates U125: Chris Fraser (West Bridgford) 3½/5
- U14 Championship: Harry Croasdale (West Bridgford) 4½/7, Hambel Willow (West Notts) 3/7
- U12 Championship: Taylor Pearson (West Notts) 5/7, Jonah Willow (West Notts) 4/7, Karam Sangha (Notts HS) 3½/7, Will Atiomo Jnr (Notts Juniors) 2½/7, John Croasdale (West Bridgford) 2½/7
- U10 Championship: Aditya Munshi (West Notts) 4½/7, Abhishek Thakar (West Notts) 4/7, Ayesha Pearson (Notts Juniors) 2½/7
- U9 Championship: Aditya Munshi (West Notts) 4½/7, Abhishek Thakar (West Notts) 4/7, Susie Wang (West Notts) 4/7