Welcome to the website of the Nottinghamshire Chess Association (NCA). The NCA administers chess in Nottinghamshire.
If you are a new or experienced chess player looking to join a club in Nottinghamshire contact one of the club secretaries shown on the list of clubs. New members are always welcome.
If you need to contact any NCA officer then please visit the information page for their details.
For older news items see the news page.
Executive Committee meeting minutes (7th Feb)
The minutes for the Executive Committee meeting held on 15th January is now available to view on the website.
Nottingham Rapidplay (7th Feb)
The winner of the Open section was GM Mark Hebden (Guildford 4NCL) with a score of 6/6. The major section was won by Athar Mehmood (Newport) with a score of 5/6. The intermediate section was won by Hari Solomonides (West Bridgford) with a score of 5½/6. The minor section was won by Leslie Fancourt (Derby) with a score of 5½/6. Full Results
Inter-County U160 Championship: Nottinghamshire 10-6 Warwickshire (24th Jan)
The U160 had a comfortable 10-6 victory over Warwickshire to make it 2 wins out of 2. Full Results
Inter-County U140 Championship: Lincolnshire 5-11 Nottinghamshire (17th Jan)
The U140 team had a convincing win against Lincolnshire. They fielded a very strong team and only lost 2 games. Full Results
Mansfield Venue (17th Jan)
The remaining home fixtures for Mansfield will be played at the Brown Cow. If there are any further changes to the venue then the opposition teams will be informed.
NCA Best Games 2014-15 (28th Dec)
Message from Steve Burke
The joint winners of the open section (judged by Tim Walker) were John Molyneux and Andrew Walker. The new U140 section (judged by Maurice Hill) was won by Derek Padvis. With the assistance of Komodo, I have annotated all the games, each of which has it’s own interesting points. The games include the player’s notes, where provided, and Maurice's comments are also added to Derek’s game. Unfortunately, due to other commitments, Tim hasn’t yet been able to annotate the open section winners himself. View Games
I hope they will inspire you to enter your games for this season’s competition when the time comes.
Inter-County U120 Championship: Nottinghamshire 6-5 Staffordshire (13th Dec)
Both teams were short on players for this match but it was Nottinghamshire that came out on top with a 6-5 win over Staffordshire. Full Results
Inter-County Minor Championship: Nottinghamshire 12½-3½ Warwickshire (13th Dec)
The Minor team thrashed Warwickshire by a score of 12½-3½. This wasn't surprising as Nottinghamshire were the stronger team with an average of 10 points higher grade on all boards. Full Results
Nottinghamshire County Championship (30th Nov)
The 2015/16 County Champion is Jim Burnett (Mansfield) with a score of 4½. Full Results
Four Counties Junior U130 Tournament (20th Nov)
Notts were invited to take part in this round robin team event organised by the Lincolnshire Schools Chess Association. Simon Scott and John Swain volunteered to organise our team, with Simon doing most of the pre-match arranging and John being there on the day. They were so successful that we even provided a couple of players to help out the opposition. Thanks to both of them, the parents who provided transport and, of course, to those who played!
John reports that we came a very close second to Yorkshire, only losing 5.5-6.5, and ahead of Lincolnshire and Leicestershire. All the matches were very competitive, played in a very good spirit, and everyone gained a lot of useful experience of playing standard play games with a Fischer increment (50 minutes and 10 seconds per move) which many had not previously experienced.
League Secretary's Statement re Withdrawal of University 1 (20th Nov)
Following the withdrawal of University 1, several issues arose. The full statement is available on the lmc page. The main items affecting clubs in general were:
- The Records Secretary has amended the fixtures and table appropriately.
- For simplicity, the lower University teams won’t be renumbered for this season.
- Only one other team will be relegated from Division 1.
- For the time being, promotion and relegation in other divisions remains as before, i.e. notionally two up two down, as set out on Page 3 of the League Handbook.
British Rapidplay (8th Nov)
There were many good performances from Notts players at the British Rapidplay this year but only one player won prize money. Adam Bennett (West Notts) won a grading prize of £8.33 in the intermediate section. Here are a list of Notts players who took part in the competition (all scores out of 11 unless stated otherwise):
- Open: Jim Burnett (Mansfield) 6, Richard Webster (Ashfield) 6, Alexander Combie (Newark) 5
- Major: Jonah Willow (West Notts) 7
- Intermediate: Adam Bennett (West Notts) 6½
- Minor: Chris Fraser (West Bridgford) 7, David Dunne (Mansfield) 6½, Abhishek Thakar (West Notts) 6½
- U11 Trial: Armaan Gogia (West Notts) 3/5, Lavanya Maladkar (West Notts) 2/5, Ben Maddison (Notts Juniors) 1/5
Scarborough Congress (8th Nov)
Chris Fraser (West Bridgford) came equal 2nd in the Foundation section with a score of 4/5 and won £56. Daniel Broughton (West Bridgford) finished equal 3rd in the Major section with a score of 4/5 and won £84. Hambel Willow (West Notts) received £125 in prize money for finishing equal 4th in the minor section with a score of 4/5 and for winning a junior prize and best female prize. Here are a list of all Notts players that took part in the competition (all scores out of 5):
- Open: Michael Barnes (Gambit) 3½, Jim Burnett (Mansfield) 3, Pablo Padilla (Ashfield) 2½, Alex Combie (Newark) 1½, Michael Naylor (Gambit) 1
- Major: Daniel Broughton (West Bridgford) 4 =3rd, Maurice Hill (Nomads) 2½, Drag Sudar (Gambit) 2
- Intermediate: Kevin Simpson (Mansfield) 3½, Tim Kendall (Gambit) 3, James Thomson (West Notts) 1½
- Minor: Hambel Willow (West Notts) 4 =4th, David Dunne (Mansfield) 3, David Woodhouse (Ashfield) 2
- Foundation: Chris Fraser (West Bridgford) 4 =2nd, Ray Sayer (Ashfield) 3, Michael Harper (Gambit) 3, Simon Scott (West Notts) 2½, Robert Wardle (Nottinghamshire) 2, Bob Abrahart (West Bridgford) 1½
Inter-County Minor Championship: Nottinghamshire 11-5 Lincolnshire (8th Nov)
The Minor team scored a convincing win against Lincolnshire to go top of the leader board. Full Results
Inter-County U160 Championship: Greater Manchester 7-9 Nottinghamshire (8th Nov)
The U160 team beat Greater Manchester by a score of 9-7. They started the match with a 2-0 lead when Manchester defaulted a couple of boards. Full Results
Inter-County U120 Championship: Lincolnshire 5-7 Nottinghamshire (8th Nov)
The U120 team make it 2 wins out of 2 games with a 7-5 win over Lincolnshire. Full Results